Ph.D. Candidate, 4th year / Chemical Engineering
Co-advised with Glenn Fredrickson
B.S.E. Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering / University of Pennsylvania (2014)
I am interested in studying the electrostatic assembly of functional materials, particularly polyelectrolyte solutions and soft solids through experimental and computational methods. My focus has largely been on the coacervation, or liquid-liquid phase separation, induced by electrostatic complexation.
Understanding the thermodynamic, mechanical, electronic, and ionic properties of the complex fluids and materials produced by the self-assembly of charged polymers is of fundamental interest as a new opportunity for double-network gels and the processing pathways for functional materials, e.g. roll-to-roll printing of organic semiconductors.
I am broadly interested in non-ideal polymer solutions, particularly their equilibrium structures and properties under arbitrary deformation fields.
Originally from Virginia Beach, I started my career in 2009 in experimental physics at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility. I graduated from Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania in 2014. At Penn, I worked with Madeleine Joullié on natural inspired organic synthesis and with Russ Composto on polymeric brush stabilization of gold nanorods. Through various REU programs, I worked on a variety of ionic liquid, polymer, and bio-functionalized materials projects under Jason Bara (Alabama), Tim Lodge (Minnesota), and Michael Rubner & Robert Cohen (MIT). After graduation, I worked on lubricant modeling with ExxonMobil Research & Engineering.
11. Danielsen, S. P. O.; Sanoja, G. E.; McCuskey, S. R.; Hammouda, B.; Bazan, G. C.; Fredrickson, G. H.; Segalman, R. A. Mixed Conductive Soft Solids by Electrostatically Driven Network Formation of a Conjugated Polyelectrolyte. Chemistry of Materials. 2018, 30, 1417-1426. DOI:10.1021/acs.chemmater.7b05303
10. Danielsen, S. P. O.; Choi, J.; Composto, R. J. Retardation of Shape Change of Au Nanorods Using Photo-cross-linkable Ligands. J. Poly. Sci. Part B: Poly Phys. 2016, 54, 2, 301-307. DOI:10.1002/polb.23929
9. Hall, C. C.; Zhou, C.; Danielsen, S. P. O.; Lodge, T. P. Formation of Multicompartment Ion Gels by Stepwise Self-Assembly of a Thermoresponsive ABC Triblock Terpolymer in an Ionic Liquid. Macromolecules. 2016, 49, 6, 2298-2306. DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.5b02789
8. Polak, R.; Bradwell, G.; Gilbert, J.; Danielsen, S.; Beppu, M.; Cohen, R.; Rubner, M. Optimization of Amine-Rich Multilayer Thin Films for the Capture and Quantification of Prostate-Specific Antigen. Langmuir. 2015, 31, 19, 5479-5488. DOI:10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b00443
7. Whitley, J. W.; Horne, W. J.; Danielsen, S. P. O.; Shannon, M. S.; Marshall, J. E.; Hayward, S. H.; Gaddis, C. J.; Bara, J. E. Enhanced Photopolymerization Rate & Conversion of 1-Vinylimidazole in the Presence of Lithium Bistriflimide. European Polymer Journal. 2014, 60, 92-97. DOI:10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2014.08.015
6. Shannon, M. S.; Tedstone, J. M.; Danielsen, S. P. O.; Hindman, M. S.; Bara, J. E. Properties and Performance of Ether-Functionalized Imidazoles as Physical Solvents for CO2 Separations. Energy & Fuels. 2013, 27, 3349-3357. DOI:10.1021/ef400362b
5. Garist, I.V.; Verevkin, S.P.; Samarov, A.A.; Bara, J.E.; Hindman, M.S.; Danielsen, S. P. O. Building Blocks for Ionic Liquids: Vapor Pressures and Vaporization Enthalpies of Alkoxy Derivatives of Imidazole and Benzimidazole. Ind. & Eng. Chem. Res. 2012, 51, 15517-15524. DOI:10.1021/ie302383t
4. Shannon, M.S.; Hindman, M.S.; Danielsen, S. P. O.; Tedstone, J.M; Gilmore, R.D.; Bara, J. E. Properties of Alkylbenzimidazoles for CO2 and SO2 Capture and Comparisons to Ionic Liquids. Science China Chem. 2012, 55, 8, 1638-1647. DOI:10.1007/s11426-012-4661-3
3. Garist, I.V.; Verevkin, S.P.; Bara, J. E.; Hindman, M. S.; Danielsen, S.P.O. Building Blocks for Ionic Liquids: Vapor Pressures and Vaporization Enthalpies for 1-(n-Alkyl)-Benzimidazoles. J. Chem. Eng. Data. 2012, 57, 1803-1809. DOI:10.1021/je300312c
2. Shannon, M.S.; Tedstone, J.M.; Danielsen, S. P. O.; Bara, J.E. Fractional Free Volume as the Basis of Gas Solubility & Selectivity in Imidazolium-based Ionic Liquids. Ind. & Eng. Chem. Res. 2012, 51, 5565-5576. DOI:10.1021/ie202916e
1. Shannon, M.S.; Tedstone, J.M.; Danielsen, S. P. O.; Bara, J.E. Evaluation of Alkylimidazoles as Physical Solvents for CO2/CH4 Separation. Ind. & Eng. Chem. Res. 2012, 51, 515-522. DOI:10.1021/ie202111k