Postdoctoral Research Fellow
PhD Organic/Polymer Chemistry / UMass Amherst
Bio and Research Interests:
I received my Ph.D. in Organic/Polymer Chemistry from UMass Amherst. My dissertation is focused on understanding the relationship between structure and optoelectronic properties of p-conjugated systems within the purview of organic electronic materials. Presently, my research involves understanding nano-confined discretely doped regions in single-crystalline silicon. As the semiconductor device dimensions continue to scale down to sub-10 nm feature sizes, controlling the precise dosage and spatial position of doped regions is vital to the device function. In a bottom-up approach to address this problem, I am investigating block copolymer directed self-assembly to confine dopants in 3-D nano-domains in Si. Some important challenges in this approach include 1) Precise pattern transfer and dopant diffusion into the underlying Si substrate, 2) Quantifying the areal dosage and 3) Visualizing the nanoconfined doped regions. Some of the techniques that I use to address these, include: scanning probe microscopy (SPM), secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS), atom probe tomography (ATP), cross-section TEM (x-TEM/EELS).
In addition, I am interested in understanding the fundamental impact of ionic groups on the thermoelectric properties of mixed ionic/electronic conductors. Most p-conjugated materials in their doped state have associated counterions. It is unclear whether the role of these counterions is limited to passive stabilization of the polarons, or these ions cooperatively affect the thermoelectric properties of the overall system. By designing block copolymer systems that structurally disentangle the electronic and ionic conducting blocks, in principle, one could deconvolute the contribution of the individual blocks to the overall thermoelectric behavior.
- B. Russ, M.J. Robb, B.C. Popere, E.E. Perry, C-K. Mai, S.L. Fronk, S.N. Patel, T.E. Mates, G.C. Bazan, J.J. Urban, M.L. Chabinyc, C.J. Hawker, R.A. Segalman. "Tethered Tertiary Amines as Solid-state n-type Dopants for Solution-processable Organic Semiconductors." Chemical Science, 2016, DOI: 10.1039/C5SC04217H.
- C.M. Evans, G.E. Sanoja, B.C. Popere, R.A. Segalman. "Anhydrous Proton Transport in Polymerized Ionic Liquid Block Copolymers: Roles of Block Length, Ionic Content, and Confinement." Macromolecules, 2016, 49(1), 395-404. DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.5b02202.
- W.B. Chang, C.M. Evans, B.C. Popere, B.M. Russ, J. Liu, J. Newman, R.A. Segalman. "Harvesting Waste Heat in Unipolar Ion Conducting Polymers." Macro Letters, 2016, 5 (1), 94-98. DOI: 10.1021/acsmacrolett.5b00829.
- B.C. Popere, B. Russ, A.T. Heitsch, P. Trefonas, R.A. Segalman. "Large-Area, Nanometer-Scale Discrete Doping of Semiconductors via Block Copolymer Self-Assembly." Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2015. DOI: 10.1002/admi.201500421.
- Sanoja, G. E.; Popere, B. C.; Beckingham, B. S.; Evans, C. M.; Lynd, N. A.; Segalman, R.A. "Structure–Conductivity relationships of block copolymer membranes based on hydrated protic polymerized ionic liquids: Effect of domain spacing." Macromolecules, 2016, DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.5b02614.
- Yuan, C.; Raghupathi, K.; Popere, B. C.; Ventura, J.; Dai, L.; Thayumanavan, S. "Composite Structures from Polymeric Nanoparticles" Chem. Sci. 2014 DOI: 10.1039/C3SC52347K.
- Popere, B. C.; Della Pelle, A. M.; Balaji, G.; Poe, A.; Thayumanavan, S. "Predictably Tuning the Frontier Molecular Orbital Energy Levels of Panchromatic BODIPY-Based Conjugated Polymers" Chem. Sci. 2012, 3, 3093-3102.
- Balaji, G.; Della Pelle, A. M.; Popere, B. C.; Chandrasekaran, A.; Thayumanavan, S.; “Synthesis and properties of thienopyrrole based heteroacenes – indolodibenzothienopyrrole and dicarbazolodithienopyrrole” Org. Biomol. Chem. 2012, 10, 3455-3462.
- Popere, B. C.; Della Pelle, A. M.; Poe, A.; Thayumanavan, S. “Macromolecular Architectures for Organic Photovoltaics” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2012, 14, 4043-4057
- Popere, B. C.; Della Pelle, A. M.; Thayumanavan, S. “BODIPY-Based Donor-Acceptor p-Conjugated Alternating Copolymers” Macromolecules 2011, 44, 4767-4776.
- Kale, T. S.; Klaikherd, A.; Popere, B.; Thayumanavan, S. “Supramolecular Assemblies of Amphiphilic Homopolymers” Langmuir 2009, 25, 9660-9670.